MEXICO SECRETARY OF CULTURE, TIJUANA CULTURAL CENTER (CECUT)
AND LUX BOREAL DANCE COMPANY
Leading up to Tijuana’s XXI International Dance Festival:
Cuerpos en Tránsito (Bodies in Transit) 2019
VIII CHOREOGRAPHY CONTEST
4x4 TJ NIGHT 2019
Aiming to incite the development of performing arts and trigger the general public with regard to dance and related disciplines, the Cultural Center of Tijuana and Lux Boreal call for artists to apply and present their work within the choreography competition: VIII 4 x 4 TJ Night 2019.
The challenge is for choreographers and performers site specific work within the limited space alotted.
The jury will be composed of artists with proven experience in dance and other artistic disciplines such as theatre, literature, visual and fine arts. The jury will select the choreographers from the preliminaries that progress to the Grand Finale, which include the following prizes:
a) Best Choreography 4x4 TJ Night 2019: One indivisible prize of $30,000.00 pesos m.n.
b) Honorable Mention for Choreography: $7,000.00 pesos m.n.
c) Best Performer: $7,000.00 pesos m.n.
During the Grand Finale, the audience will vote for:
d) Audience Favorite Award TJ Night 2019: $7,000.00 pesos m.n.
1. This call is intended for scenic artists, dancers and performers from Mexico and abroad.
2. All preliminary events will take place within the Nightlife of the city of Tijuana, therefore it is mandatory that all participants must be 18 years of age before any preliminary ensues.
3. Eligible proposals, either contemporary dance or interdisciplinary scenic arts, are designed for a platform with a space area of 4 x 4 feet (1.20 x 1.20 meters) and 1 foot (30 cm) in height; Considering an audience in an arena setting (360 degrees).
4. The challenge of the 4 x 4 feet stage limit will be taken into account.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The proposal must be danced on the platform from start to finish; stepping off of the platform within the choreography calls for disqualification.
5. The work can be a premier or previously released and adapted to the 4x4 platform.
6. The minimum duration of the work to its competition is 6 minutes, and a maximum of 10 minutes.
7. The work must involve a minimum of 2 performers on the platform.
8. The 4x4 TJ Night Choreography Competition 2019 is part of the “Extramuros” program from Tijuana's Cultural Center, the semifinals of this competition will be held in up to four bar/nightclubs and/or alternative venues in the city of Tijuana, venues will be announced at the time of pre-selection.
9. Each work must be designed to appear in public places within the nightlife of Tijuana. The choreographers must anticipate uninterrupted general ambient lighting to the scenic area of the 4 x 4 platform.
10. In the event that the participant decides to use a platform other than the one provided in the competition, it must have the official measurements and the participant will take care of the logistics of positioning, removal and transport of their own platform. Any proposal that puts at risk the integrity and security of the platform will be evaluated by the Selection Committee to decide its viability.
11. All selected participants acknowledge that any and all performances on the 4 x 4 platform, including the nightclub semi-finals and the Grand Finale at CECUT, run at your own risk and responsibility.
12. The members of the jury to the Grand Finale reserve the right to declare “null” to awards (b) and/or (c) mentioned above
13. Choreographies that have been performed in previous editions of 4 x 4 TJ Night will not be accepted.
14. The proposals selected for the Grand Finale, may not undergo changes. They must be presented exactly as the judges in the semifinals selected them.
15. To be accepted and preselected for the semifinals in the choreography contest VIII 4 x 4 TJ Night 2019, participants accept all rules mentioned within this call.
NOTE: The event organizer does not cover costs of transportation, logistics, accommodation or food for the participants.
Applications will be received now until January 28th 2019: 18:00 hours Pacific Standard Time
Announcement of selected choreographies:
Selected choreographies for the semifinals will be announced on Friday February 8th, 2019; Selected participants will be assigned by random drawing to one of the venues for the semifinals; all choreographers will be notified through email and press release.
The selected participants will be assigned to one of the semifinals by random: between April 4th and April 11th 2019 in venues within the city of Tijuana. At the end of the last Semifinal, the selected works will be announced for the Gran Finale.
Gran Final 4x4 TJ Night 2019:
The Grand Final of the 4x4 TJ Night Choreography Contest will be held on the Tijuana Cultural Center International Gallery "El Cubo" on Saturday April 13th, 2019, the final will be part of the activities previous to the Tijuana´s XXI International Dance Festival “Cuerpos en Transito”, where the Presentation of each finalist work and the winners will be announced.
1. Complete the application form that is located in the following link: [on-line application] and attach the corresponding files in the correct format requested. (It is important to include the URL or link to the video of the work or work-in-process; minimum 5-minute duration designed for 4 x 4 platform).
2. Registration goes into effect from the launch of this call until the deadline Monday, January 28, 2019 at 18:00 hours (Pacific time).
3. Once the choreography is received and registered, the applicant will be given a confirmation notice of participation.
4. An advisory committee will be established and will select the proposals to participate in this contest.
The participants proposals will be announced on Friday February 8th, 2019 via press release and e-mail; also publicized within the web pages of CECUT: www.cecut.gob.mx and Lux Boreal: www.luxboreal.org
All participants will receive a certificate of recognition for their participation from the Cultural Center of Tijuana and Lux Boreal.
For Further Information:
Tel. (664) 687- 9665